T.I.D.E. Academy, Technology, Innovation, Design and Engineering is the newest small public high school in Sequoia Union High School District, located in Menlo Park. T.I.D.E. will open in August 2019 and we are currently in a planning year. Our vision is creating a diverse, empowered community of innovators that connects culture, technology and the arts to act locally and design transformative solutions for evolving professional and global landscapes.The most important approach to make this vision a reality is hiring dynamic teachers who embrace best instructional practices including: interdisciplinary units of study, standards-based grading, project-blended learning with an emphasis on social action, social-emotional learning and a keen focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math.TIDE teachers embrace the possibilities and the challenges that come along with opening a brand new high school. TIDE hires have a track record of success, demonstrate content expertise, emotional intelligence, have worked in urban settings, and express the following habits of mind:Mindset: Teacher candidates must first believe that the high school experience can be reimagined so that learning is relevant, challenging, and personalized. Candidates must champion career technical education and industry partnerships. Candidates must believe that all students can go to college. Candidates must have intrinsic motivation to refine their skills by trying new ideas based on professional development, learning from model programs, peer collaboration, and engaging in the cycle of inquiry.Teacher Responsibilities:
- Designing and implementing a contemporary-technology infused curriculum aligned to Common Core/NGSS standards that includes project-based experiences and social action
- Collaborating with community college faculty to design vertically aligned A-G courses
- Collaborating with founding teachers & administrators as the school culture is established
- Carrying out administrative functions in addition to teacher duties
- Show initiative and productivity in a startup environment
- Marketing and recruiting the student body, primarily as evening responsibilities
- Designing an SEL curriculum and serving as an Advisor during Nucleus time
- Implementing Learning Targets and Standards-Based Grading Practices
- Reflecting regularly on teaching practice and acting on constructive feedback
- Using assessment data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards.
- Engaging in collaborative curricula development, data analysis, and problem solving
- Developing positive relationships with students, families, district personnel, and TIDE colleagues.
- Model conflict resolution strategies and demonstrate high social emotional intelligence
- Participate in ongoing professional development (with some travel) and summer orientation programs for staff and students