Accountant – Summit Public Schools
Accountant Position Overview:The Accountant plays an integral role in the efficient operation of the Summit’s Washington Finance Team. The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance. This role supports our schools in Washington state; the position operates out of our Home Office space in Redwood City, California.The ideal candidate has excellent finance, accounting, and communication skills (both written and verbal), has superb attention to detail, and is willing to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds when needed. The Accountant is responsible for processing Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, bank reconciliation, ad hoc reporting, and overall support to the Director of Finance, as needed. As a member of the Finance Team, the Accountant helps ensure the organization supports the school functions and remains fiscally sound.What you’ll do:
- Process all purchasing requests, including reviewing contracts and order documents to ensure compliance with all local/state/federal education regulations/policies and organizational policies,
- Process all accounts payable timely and accurately, including obtaining necessary approvals, entering invoices and credit memos into the accounting system, and preparing payment vouchers/documentation,
- Reconcile monthly statements (e.g., Amazon, American Express, Staples, etc.) and obtain complete documentation/approvals for all transactions before payment,
- Maintain complete vendor files (e.g., W-9 Forms, ACH Authorization Forms, etc.),
- Deposit cash and checks from schools/vendors as needed,
- Support the month-end and quarterly close processes (e.g., reconciliation of bank statements, preparing journal entries, etc.),
- Process 1099s and State Use Tax documents on an annual basis,
- Support the generation of monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements for internal and external stakeholders,
- Support with all local/state/federal audits,
- Ensure alignment of all processes with organizational policies and, when necessary, propose adjustments to policies to remain compliant with all local/state/federal regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a Business of Finance concentration is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a fast-paced environment, preferably a K-12 setting.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) under Financial Accounting
- Standards (FASB) and Government Accounting Standards (GASB).
- Experience in a multi-site organization, preferably a K-12 setting.
- Proficiency in Netsuite or other comprehensive accounting systems.
- Experience with Google platform (Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides).
- Clear TB test and background check.