Rocketship Public Schools is a network of elementary schools serving primarily socioeconomically disadvantaged students so that we can meet our mission of eliminating the achievement gap in our lifetimes. We are hiring outstanding K-5 Teachers in the Bay Area, Nashville, Milwaukee, and Washington, D.C. for the 2018-2019 school year.Rocketship is reinventing elementary school from the ground up. We are challenging conventional approaches to teaching and collectively working to redefine and elevate the role of teachers in the 21st century.Our elementary teachers are subject experts who specialize in either Humanities or STEM. Content specialization allows teachers to develop much deeper expertise in their subject matter and creates a collaborative teacher team as they develop lesson plans alongside other talented teachers. But this is just the first level of our collaborative learning environment. Every school is supported by school leaders who provide instructional frameworks, professional development, and real time coaching for teachers in their classroom every single week. Just as our teachers invest their time and energy in the progress of their students, we invest our time and energy in the progress of our teachers.Rocketship's collaborative learning environment reaches well beyond the four walls of our classrooms. We are deeply committed to parent engagement. Teachers new to our network are always impressed by how deeply our Rocketeer parents are engaged in their school's community. Annual teacher home visits, monthly parent community meetings, and a vibrant parent volunteer network create solid relationships, a rich school culture and a devoted community that propels student achievement.At Rocketship, you are joining a network and a community committed to excellence. If you are looking for the chance to drive transformative change in underserved communities and contribute to a national movement to close the achievement gap in our lifetime, look no further than Rocketship. We have ambitious plans to scale our system to serve more communities in need every year. We prioritize developing leaders from within and have invested in multiple career pathway programs for our teachers and school leaders.
- Build a classroom culture of excellence and deliver rigorous instruction by building content expertise in humanities or STEM that is captured in units of study and daily plans.
- Engage in cycles of data driven instruction to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs.
- Collaborate with special education staff so students identified as needing extra support are meaningfully included.
Student and Parent Partnership:
- Partner with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their child's first teacher.
- Build authentic relationships with families beginning with home visits that form the foundation for frequent ongoing communications to support student success.
- Engage with families on academic and behavioral goals and transparently share student progress so that both parents and teachers own each child's successes and challenges.
- Partner with parents to find the best solutions for both their child and their family.
Rocketship Professional Culture:
- Commit to doing and being their best, and to growing their skills as professionals and as individuals
- Attend all professional development meetings and opportunities that may exceed the regular school day hours of 7:45a-4:00p
- Urgently and courageously takes actions in the best interest of students, even if they are new or unfamiliar
- Meets all professional obligations and proactively communicates when changes come up
- Exhibits a high level of honest and humble self-reflection owning good and bad outcomes
- Effectively responds to and implements constructive feedback
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and contributes to positive staff culture
- Bachelor's degree
- Valid teacher's credential for state where you are teaching, in the process of receiving one, or ability to transfer an out-of-state credential to current state
- Preferred: At least one year of full time teaching experience (not including student or substitute teaching)
Physical Demands:The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
Compensation:Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
How to Apply:To submit your resume, cover letter and other materials, please visit: http://www.rocketshipschools.org/join-our-team/teach-with-us/teachers/
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.