Assistant Principal, 2018-2019
Rocketship Public Schools is a network of elementary schools hiring outstanding Assistant Principals in the Bay Area, Nashville, Milwaukee, and Washington D.C. for the 2018-19 school year.We are building a national network of high-performing schools serving more than 7,000 students from low income communities. Our teachers, school leaders, and network support staff are united in our mission to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime. School leaders are the backbone of Rocketship's impact model.Assistant Principals (APs) at Rocketship are charged with driving academic achievement for students and building a rigorous college preparatory school culture. Every AP at Rocketship works closely with their Principal to lead and implement the instructional vision for one to three grade levels. APs manage and coach teachers in their grade levels by leading data analysis cycles, regularly observing classrooms, providing continuous feedback, and co-planning units of study and lesson plans aimed at increasing educator effectiveness and leadership. APs also serve as cultural and community leaders by building teacher capacity in culture, behavior, and parent engagement.Every Rocketship campus is supported by a school leadership team that includes the Principal, two Assistant Principals, a Business Operations Manager, and an Office Manager. APs share responsibility across the school leadership team for professional development, culture and behavior in common spaces, and special events. Together, they lead a team of teachers, tutors, enrichment coordinators, and support staff who collectively deliver gap-closing, personalized instruction to students from pre-K to fifth grade.Rocketship attracts school leaders with ambitious aspirations. Just as we are committing to propelling student growth we are dedicated to advancing the careers of our exceptional talent. As an AP, you will receive ongoing professional development in conducting rigorous observations, providing meaningful feedback, and executing useful planning and analysis. Additionally, Rocketship is a rapidly growing network which provides APs with a number of career paths both within our schools and on the Network Support Team.
Our ideal candidate:
- Believes that adult preparation is essential to student success
- Has a desire to become an elementary content expert and is eager to use that knowledge to develop teachers who demonstrate excellence in their planning and execution of lessons
- Understands that eliminating the achievement gap is hard work but deeply rewarding and within their control
- Developing Effective Educators: Rocketship Assistant Principals are deeply committed to the success of each Rocketeer and the daily workload reflects that commitment.
- Foster a rigorous and college preparatory culture of excellence in every classroom that ensures high levels of student achievement
- Coach grade level teams (5-9 educators) to build content expertise in Humanities or STEM
- Engage in cycles of data driven instruction and assessments to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs
- Ensure at least 1.5 years of progress for all Rocketeers annually through management and planning
- Collaborate with the Special Education team to ensure teachers are receiving the necessary support and training to maximize the delivery of instruction in our full inclusion model
Student and Parent Partnership:Rocketship Assistant Principals succeed in partnership with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their child's first teacher.
- Create a school community that fully involves parents in student achievement through multiple outlets including home visits, regular community meetings, and parent/family meetings.
Rocketship Professional Culture:Rocketship Assistant Principals are deeply committed to doing and being their best, and to growing their skills as professionals and as individuals, so our daily and annual expectations reflect that commitment.
- Exhibit a high level of honest and humble self-reflection owning good and bad outcomes; effectively respond to and implement constructive feedback
- Create a healthy, high-achieving, urgent environment where staff and students feel challenged and also fully supported and valued
- Promote and participate in collaborative opportunities across schools to share best practices, problem solve, and gather feedback
- 3+ years of experience teaching in an urban city classroom and realizing significant gains
- Deep knowledge of elementary instruction and planning skills
- Strong leadership skills and personal drive
- Relentless pursuit of high expectations
- Result-oriented and data-driven
- Ability to inspire, motivate and develop others
- Adaptable and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage and empower parents and families
- Experience in building and maintaining outstanding school culture
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strategic planning and project management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- BA from accredited university
- Valid Teaching Credential