About Code Nation
Code Nation (codenation.org
) equips students in under-resourced high schools with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching corps that includes hundreds of professional web and software developers, Code Nation mobilizes the tech community to provide tuition-free coding courses and work-based learning programs that promote career readiness.Founded in 2012 (and formerly called ScriptEd), Code Nation currently reaches approximately 1,500 students per year in 46 high schools in New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area. The growing Bay Area office currently has a staff of 9 and reaches 344 students across San Francisco and Oakland with plans to expand into San Jose.
Who We Want
We are looking for an Executive Director to join our Bay Area team. You will report to the Chief Executive Officer and be primarily responsible for leading Code Nation’s Bay Area office and ensuring the Code Nation mission is being successfully implemented and goals are being attained. You will be expected to tackle everything from vision setting to team management and leadership to ensuring Code Nation Bay Area's high-performance. This is a small, growing team that's part of a rapidly growing national organization. We're looking for an inspiring leader and strategic thinker who's excited to roll up their sleeves and take on challenges big and small - whether it's regional growth strategy or day to day operations of the team.Your duties will include, but not be limited to: managing staff and programs; establishing and managing partnerships; creating and implementing fundraising strategies; ensuring the ongoing quality and fidelity of Code Nation Bay Area’s programs, partnerships, and culture; and ultimately growing the organization in the Bay Area. You will sit on the Code Nation Executive Leadership Team which supports the Chief Executive Officer in strategic planning for the organization broadly, including the: development of the growth strategy and operational plan, consideration of expansion opportunities, creation and refinement of organizational policies, and overall organizational management.The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to diversity and educational equity, and fluency and vision pertaining to both the education and tech sectors.
Bay Area Office Leadership & Management:
- Ensure Code Nation Bay Area meets/exceeds its goals by leading, collaborating with, and coaching a growing cross-functional team of passionate young leaders.
- Develop and revise the long-term strategic plan for Code Nation in Bay Area in partnership with the CEO.
- Provide performance coaching to ensure the Code Nation Bay Area team is effectively trained and prepared to meet its goals.
- Prepare regional updates for the CEO and Board, presenting insights coming from program KPIs, financial projections, and other organizational data.
Organizational Leadership & Management:
- Serve as a member of the Code Nation Executive Leadership team to support the CEO in setting the organizational strategy, support national fundraising activities, manage organizational sustainability, create and sustain a strong organizational culture, and develop organization-wide policies and programs enabling Code Nation staff members to be effective and feel valued.
Fundraising & External Affairs:
- Lead and collaborate with a high-performing team to secure funding required to meet the annual operational budget for Code Nation Bay Area. Ensure consistent quality and expansion of local fundraising activities, communications, and systems to support existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Build, develop, and steward a Local Advisory Board and manage Local Advisory Board involvement with supporting the advancement of the strategic plan in Bay Area. Secure new fundraising opportunities, including the cultivation of external relationships and donors.
- Cultivate partnerships with local school districts, community organizations, technology companies, and peer organizations.
Program Planning & Management:
- Ensure ongoing effective planning, implementation, and evaluation to ensure programs are meeting Code Nation standards for quality, fidelity, and impact while identifying opportunities for continuous improvement. Publish and communicate local program results demonstrating Code Nation’s impact in schools.
Team Management and Development:
Who You Are
- Recruit, manage, train, and develop Code Nation Bay Area staff. Ensure staff receives appropriate training and support, implement a performance management process that includes ongoing monitoring of performance and scheduled performance reviews. Maintain an organizational climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse, top-quality staff.
- An experienced leader who has led teams for at least 5 years and inspired individuals and/or groups to successfully achieve challenging, time-bound goals in a high-performing, professional environment.
- Eager fundraiser with a track record of making ambitious asks to secure resources. You genuinely enjoy meeting with external parties to tell our story and secure their support.
- An enthusiastic storyteller eager to share Code Nation's mission and impact with potential funders, partners, and other external parties
- Passionate about working with young people and want to change the status quo to ensure that all students have equitable access to the education, resources, and networks that will enable their success in school, at work, and in life.
- Motivated by working on diverse teams and in diverse environments where different perspectives are encouraged and valued. You are committed to supporting the populations we work with in their pursuit of their educational, professional, and/or personal goals.
- A strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- You have existing relationships with local schools and/or funders and/or companies. You are already connected to the Bay Area community. Ideally, you have experience working in the communities we serve and/or have deep long-term local connections.
- Passionate about the impact the technology sector can have in changing the world
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a high-performing culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the non-profit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package, including salary and benefits, that will be commensurate with your experience and competitive within the non-profit sector. Some of the benefits we offer to our staff members include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Annual Vacation time-20 days paid vacation & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- Retirement Plan-Code Nation matches contributions to 401K accounts up to 2%
- Flex spending account-for out of pocket medical costs
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Executive Director, Bay Area”. All qualified applicants will be considered, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.Code Nation strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of the communities and neighborhoods we serve. Code Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.